Apostilles and Authentications
NPA Handbook • July 2010 NPA Resolution • Status Table, Contracting States • How to Read the Status Table ABCs of Apostilles • Apostille Handbook • Resources
Notary Public Administrators' Handbook on Apostilles and Authentications ©, Third Edition
A comprehensive guide for U.S. competent authorities on the issuance of Apostilles and authentications. INCLUDES the NPA Section's Apostille Issuance Guidelines, Version 1.0, July 2013. Use the Handbook to:
- • Conform with basic requirements of the Hague Apostille Convention, as well as Conclusions and Recommendations;
- • Reduce intended recipients' rejections of U.S. state-issued Apostilles;
- • Improve security of the Apostille to reduce misuse and abuse.
July 2010 NPA Section Resolution
To promote uniformity in the format, design and affixation of Apostilles.
View a sample of Rhode Island's allonge, which complies with the NPA Resolution.
Do I issue an Apostille or Authentication?
The Apostille Section of the Hague Conference on Private International Law maintains the authoritative list of countries ("contracting states") that have joined the Hague Apostille Convention.
From the Apostille Section of the Hague Conference on Private International Law:
- • The ABCs of Apostilles - an informational brochure for users of Apostilles.
- • Apostille Handbook - a comprehensive guide to assist competent authorities.